Things I Hope For in The New Year
- Updated: December 29, 2010
1. Bert Blyleven is finally elected to the Hall of Fame.
2. The Brewers surge ahead late in the season for a change before coming up short again.
3. The Red Sox choke on their money and finish behind both the Rays and Yankees.
4. The Phillies now an occupant of the big spenders suite learn that money can’t buy another Series title.
5. That the hard-core Rays fans (all 25 of them) boo Carl Crawford upon his uncomfortable return.
6. That Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria finally does the smart thing and sells the team.
7. That the Rangers under a full year of Nolan Ryan ownership go all the way this year.
8. That Tsuyoshi Nishioka flops in Minnesota so that the Twins regret having traded JJ Hardy.
9. That this is finally the season that the Pirates break their woeful losing streak.
10. That Tim McCarver finally retires. (We can only hope)
11. That Kerry Wood sparkles upon his return to the Cubs
12. That Tim Lincecum does something about his pitiful hair.
13. That the Brewers TV broadcast team stop insulting fans with their unabashed homerism and actually criticize lousy play.
14. That when Derek Jeter gets his 3,000 hit to win the game, he causes Brian Cashman to eat his words “We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account. We’ve encouraged him to test the market and see if there’s something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That’s the way it works.”
15. That the hypocritical Tony LaRussa manages his last year and that the Cardinals make Albert Pujols the game’s highest paid player
16. That the Braves’ as a tribute still play the Bobby Cox way.
17. That the Orioles and Blue Jays petition mlb to move to another division.
18. That Barry Bonds finally goes to jail.
19. That the Padres excellent pitching staff is able to carry this hitless team to another close pennant race.
20. That Scott Boras’ remaining unsigned clients, Manny Ramirez, Rafael Soriano, Adrian Beltre, Johnny Damon, Andruw Jones, and Kevin Millwood are left hanging as a message from GM’s that they are tired of being pushed around.
21. That the obnoxious Red Sox nation realize they are not, have never been and will never be as good as the Yankees.
22. That Andy Pettitte gives it one more shot.
23. That Ozzie Guillen continues to be outspoken about his team and the GM that he has come to loathe.
24. That Adam Wainwright finally wins the Cy Young Award.
25. That announcers stop boring us with incessant stats and inane banter and go back to calling the game with a level of excitement and enthusiasm.
26. That the moronic between innings contests, the perpetual advertising and the deafening music be muted once and for all.
27. That Trevor Hoffman finds a team that appreciates his status among the game’s greats and lets him be the closer for one more year.
28. That replay is extended to include close calls at the bags when the game is on the line.
29. That official scorers be “fair and balanced”
30. Great comeback years for Grady Sizemore, Brandon Webb, Mark DeRosa, Brad Penny, Erik Bedard, Jacoby Ellsbury, Dontrelle Willis, and Jeff Francis
What things do you wish for in the upcoming new season?