Nine Innings/Questions with DoubleG Sports on the Yankees
- Updated: May 21, 2016
If you like what you read below, check out more from Charlie Mule at DoubleGSports.com!
This is another in the series of articles where I ask fellow bloggers from the Baseball Bloggers Alliance (BBA) 9 innings worth of questions about their team. The goal is to do this for as many teams as possible (all 30 would be ideal) a few times a season. This one is a pre-All Star edition, then a post-All Star edition, another down the stretch (towards the end of the season) and then either a playoffs edition or off season edition or both!
So, without further ado …
- How are the Yankee’s offseason acquisitions working out so far? Any concerns?
The Yankees acquired Starlin Castro, Aroldis Chapman and Aaron Hicks. Castro has been a lone bright spot for the Yankees this season and has really made a name for himself early on. Hicks has had his moments including a 105 MPH throw home to nail a runner and a go ahead home run against the Red Sox, but all in all he has had a tough time in the outfield and is only hitting .211. Chapman has been as advertise, but due to the domestic violence suspension he has only appeared in a few games thus far.
[graphiq id=”l7LoQSS9hP” title=”Starlin Castro” width=”600″ height=”503″ url=”https://w.graphiq.com/w/l7LoQSS9hP” link=”http://baseball-players.pointafter.com/l/2635/Starlin-Castro” link_text=”Starlin Castro | PointAfter” ]
- Who has been the most disappointing player so far this season? Will they improve as the season goes on?
The most disappointing players this season have been Luis Severino and Michael Pineda. The Yankees highly touted prospect is 0-6 with a 7.46 ERA while Pineda, who was looking to have a breakout season is currently 1-5 with a 6.60 ERA. To me, Pineda and Severino will both improve if they develop other pitches and can be consistent.
- Who has been the most surprising player so far this season? Can they sustain this pace?
I would say Andrew Miller. Miller has had to deal with adversity all season. He has had to adjust to a new role in the bullpen and has had nothing bad to say about it. He also has a chip fracture in his wrist but has pitched through it and simply dominated.
[graphiq id=”6wnwYazii69″ title=”Andrew Miller Full Season Pitch Speeds and Results” width=”600″ height=”553″ url=”https://w.graphiq.com/w/6wnwYazii69″ link=”http://baseball-players.pointafter.com/l/11094/Andrew-Miller” link_text=”Andrew Miller Full Season Pitch Speeds and Results | PointAfter” ]
- What top prospects might we see before the All Star break (What type of player are they: 5 tool player, speedster, defensive, power hitter, etc.)? What will be their impact on the team?
We have already seen Gary Sanchez, Rob Refsnyder has also been up with the club but I would like to see Aaron Judge. He is an outfielder with power that can run. If the Yankees are struggling Judge could be a spark plug in the middle of the lineup. I would like to see him up.
- What top prospects are currently being blocked by current players on the big club? Will this make them trade bait, will they switch positions or will the vet eventually be traded?
Judge is blocked by Carlos Beltran but I don’t see him moving. I could see Jorge Mateo, the Yankees top prospect up in a few years at either second base or shortstop but right now those holes are filled by Didi Gregorius and Starlin Castro. He will not be traded either. Also, Gary Sanchez could potentially come up and replace Asutin Romine as the backup catcher, but Brian McCann is still there.
- What is the team lacking that either wasn’t addressed in the offseason or the offseason acquisition isn’t cutting it?
The team is lacking everything. The Yankees have struggled to score runs but more importantly the pitching rotation is horrendous.
- Are they better or worse off now than they were at the end of last season?
The Yankees are worse.
- What is your predicted outcome for the team this season? Why?
They will falter. The Yankees are not making the playoffs this season and most likely will not next season. The pitching rotation is very bad. Plain and simple.
- What players need to go (traded, released, etc.) & why?
The older guys need to go. Beltran, Mark Teixeira, Chase Headley, CC Sabthia and Alex Rodriguez.